Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Cooking: Beef and Mushroom Hotpot

I took a photo for tonight's dinner and then changed it completely as I went along.

Ingredients
- 1 teaspoon Mixed Herbs
- Olive Oil
- 1 Onion chopped finely
- 700gm Casserole Steak cubed
- 3 Large Potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1 can chopped Tomatoes
- 1 can Cream of Mushroom Soup (Condensed)
- 1 teaspoon Beef Stock powder
- 1 cup hot water
- 500gm Frozen Mixed Vegetables
- 200gm chopped Mushrooms

Method
1. Turn slow cooker onto high.
2. Heat oil in a saucepan, add Mixed Herbs and Onion, saute for a few minutes.
3. Add meat, brown on all sides.
4. Pour meat and onion into the slow cooker.
5. Add potato, canned tomatoes, mushroom soup and frozen vegetables. Mix well.
6. Mix the beef stock powder with a cup of hot water and add to the slow cooker.
7. Add half the mushrooms. Mix well
8. Cook on high for 2.5-3 hours until potatoes are tender.
9. Stir through remaining mushrooms and serve.

Result
I said that my 5y.o. didn't have to eat it as she doesn't like cooked mushrooms (she will eat raw mushrooms till the cows come home, but won't touch a cooked one). So the tasters tonight were my 7y.o., my husband and I.

What can I say - we all had seconds (but luckily there is enough left for another meal).

Definitely will be making this recipe again.

There was a lot of liquid, you could reduce the cup of water to half easily.

2 comments:

shrinkingkatt said...

I am so making this up. Next week when in-laws leave. I am cooking this and going to enjoy it.

Old NFO said...

Sounds like it turned out well! I'll have to try this one!