Monday, May 23, 2011

The mind is a weird thing ...

I've been working in this job for just over a year. So every workday I drive down the main road, pull into the turning lane at the lights near my office, turn right (you've always got to wait at these lights) and then turn left into a private road that runs down the back of the building, then into the car park.

Last Monday, I did the above, only to discover that they've closed the private road. Not a big deal, do a U-turn right out of the private road, turn right at the lights, travel down the main road a bit, pull into a turning lane, cross over and drive in the front entrance of the building.

Discover, via email, that the private road is going to be closed for months.

Now, I discovered that last Monday ... TODAY was the first day I've NOT turned right at the lights to head down the private road!!!

I can't believe that it took a whole week for me to get through to my brain that YOU don't turn right at the lights any more!

Now, I'm just hoping that today's success isn't a once off.

6 comments:

Old NFO said...

LOL- It's called (at least in MY case) Old dog unable to learn new trick... I flat drove by my exit off the Okinawa expressway TWICE because I forgot where I was staying... sigh... It'll get better, you are young enough to still have more than two brain cells to rub together :-)

DaddyBear said...

It's OK, I drive to work on auto-pilot all the time.

Skul said...

Do what we do, up this way, Julie.
Drive on the other side of the road.
Works every time.

Julie said...

lol Skul can you imagine what a disaster that would be?

BTW I did drive on the "wrong" side of the road when I visited the States eons ago ... I was okay until I turned corners ....

Anonymous said...

Close your eyes when you turn.
Works for me when I'm down your way.

TOTWTYTR said...

Back when we first bought our house in 1980, on several occasions I found myself on auto pilot driving to the old apartment. Fortunately I realized what I was doing before I got too far off course.

After a while, that faded and I became familiar with the route to the new home.

I don't know what will happen if we ever move from here.