Friday, June 3, 2011

No kidding ....

From today's news: War on drugs 'has failed'

I was going to write and in depth piece on why this isn't news but just stating the bleeding obvious but then I read what Daddybear wrote and thought I might just send you over there for a read.

(As this is the computer that doesn't like me linking you'll have to do it the old-fashioned way ...
http://daddybearden.blogspot.com/2011/06/perpetuating-prohibition.html
...)

Like Daddybear I've not used illegal drugs, I don't want my girls using them (ever!) but I don't believe that legislating what adults can and can't do to their own bodies is reasonable.

Yesterday there was an explosion a couple of suburbs away from where I live when a drug lab went up (http://www.perthnow.com.au/news/western-australia/blast-leads-cops-to-83rd-drug-lab/story-e6frg13u-1226068502117), apparently it's the 83rd illicit drug lab uncovered in Perth this year!

People are doing this because there is money in it. I would like to see these products legally available (using existing health requirements and regulations for the production of pharmaceuticals) and taxed. Then use that money for health and education campaigns just as we do with cigarettes / alcohol.

1 comment:

DaddyBear said...

Thanks Julie. I wasn't aware that drug labs were such a problem in Australia, but now that I think of it, I'm not surprised. Do you all have to go through the paperwork we do in order to get cold medicines with sudafed in them?