Thursday, December 2, 2010

Pleased with the outcome

Following on from yesterday's blog, I have just had the Deputy Principal from the school call me.

Apparently Miss 9 gave her her revised Santa List and explained the situation clearly and articulately and prior to calling me the Deputy Principal had already had a discussion with the class teacher about the situation.

Miss 9 has been asked to rewrite her letter again adding in a few details as to why she wants each item, which I think is fair enough. Apparently the Deputy Principal had a chat with her as to why people might say things and how it is important to explain her point of view with reference to where other people are at.

The teacher has been encouraged to think about bit more about things from different perspectives and not let her pre-conceptions colour the work assignments she gives the children.

I was pleased that I really had a very minor part in this, and that Miss 9 was able to explain to the Deputy Principal what had happened and why she wasn't happy with it.

I'm also very pleased that we have such a good Deputy Principal at the school!

[UPDATE: Spoke to Miss 9 this evening. She reckons that her teacher let her put up the list without a rewrite. I asked her if the teacher seemed upset or anything regarding this situation and she said that no, she seemed fine - so that's good.[/UPDATE]

4 comments:

Old NFO said...

Good! Reality overcomes personal perceptions once again! And good on Miss 9 for taking the 'bull by the horns' and explaining it to the deputy.

Crucis said...

Look like everyone involved had a learning experience from this---not the least, the teacher.

Congratulations.

I took a pocket knife to school every day of my life. Some had only a 1 1/2" blade, some had blades over 3".

Sometime around the 5th grade, we all had a fad for throwing knives. We made a plywood target and mounted it on a tree back of the school. We spent many a recess there. The principal frequently joined us. He was a Marine Raider during WW2 and showed up his Fairbairn knife he was issued in the Marines and how to throw our knives---safely.

Times have changed and not for the better.

cybrus said...

Awesome! As the father of 3 and 1 year olds, I'm both looking forward to and dreading my kids starting school.

I may have to start a separate savings account for bail money...

DaddyBear said...

Good for her!