Friday, February 5, 2010

Getting there ...

The story to-date ... here, here, here, here and here!

Today I received a letter from Police Licensing saying:

As the Commissioner's delegated officer under the Firearms Act I approve the below mentioned firearm/s for licensing by yourself, relative to the notation "Approved Club Activities Only" with the following conditions in accordance with the Firearms Act 1973 and Firearms Regulations 1974:

It then listed my firearms - I've not checked the serial numbers, guess I should do that. It then goes on to say:

a) You must remain an active and financial member of and comply with bylaws / regulations of Sporting Shooters Association of Australia WA Inc. (S.S.A.A.)

It was at this point I freaked! Although I am a financial member of the SSAA, I didn't want this to be a condition on my licence.

The club that supported me for these guns was not a SSAA club.

(For my American readers the SSAA is somewhat similar to your NRA).

Anyway, chatted to a few people and we came to the conclusion that they must have been using a standard form letter and forgotten to change the club name rather than this being a real requirement.

Finally got through to Police Licensing Services (dropped off twice) and spoke to a guy who took my details and put me through to a gal. She took my details again, and the name of my club and said that she would send me a corrected letter.

BUT even with this letter I can't go get my guns. I have to wait for the actual licence piece of paper :(

Hope that comes soon!

(And I really must remember to check the serial numbers. We're licensed here for actual guns - so if the serial number is wrong I won't be able to get the gun).

3 comments:

Old NFO said...

Yee Gods... does it ever end Julie??? Hang in there!

Julie said...

thanks Jim I nearly had a heart attack when I saw that I needed to be a member of the SSAA! Glad to find out that it was just a typo.

TOTWTYTR said...

And I thought Massachusetts was bad! I admire your persistence.