Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Cooking: Bean and Rice Hotpot

I've been doing some Slow Cooker cooking recently but have forgotten to write down exactly what the ingredients are so I haven't been able to put them on my blog. But today a friend directed me to this wonderful blog "A Year of Slowcooking" and I liked the way they recorded their ingredients ... by using a photo.

So for my recipe tonight "Bean and Rice Hotpot" I've done the same. Now the recipe is based on their Crockpot Beans and Rice but with a few differences.

Ingredients



- 400gm cans each of Chickpeas; Red Kidney Beans; Borlotti Beans and White Beans (these being all the different types of canned beans in my pantry)
- 2 x 440gm cans of tomato (I was planning to used diced tomatoes, took the wrong ones out of the pantry)
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon chili powder (hot)
- 2 teaspoons mixed herbs
- 1 teaspoon freshly milled black pepper (only decided to add this after the photo had been taken)
- 400gm of cooked rice (i always cook & freeze rice so it is handy for things like this. You could use uncooked rice but then the cooking time would be about 3.5-4 hours)
- spray of Olive Oil

Method
1. Turn slow cooker onto high
2. Drain and rinse beans
3. Spray the bottom of the slow cooker with the spray oil
4. Add the pepper, onion powder, chili powder and mixed herbs
5. Add the beans and stir well
6. Add the rice and mix well
7. Add the canned tomatoes. If using whole tomatoes break up with spatula. Mix well
8. Leave on high until heated through and then turn down to low.

The temperature described above is for a meal in 2 hours and using cooked rice. If you are using uncooked rice you would need to adjust the cooking time.

Result
TBA :) in about 3 hours ....

UPDATE:

I served the Bean & Rice Hotpot with sliced grilled veal. I had defrosted the veal before deciding to do the hotpot, so we used it anyway.



It was was yummy - just a bit spicy but not enough to put the girls off. Maybe eating it tomorrow will be too much for them without yogurt.

I think the rice was a bit over-done (it was on for 2hrs ... maybe 1.5hrs or putting the rice in later would have been best).

The girls liked it.

1 comment:

Old NFO said...

Yum :-) Looks good!