Saturday, April 16, 2011

A Quick Eggplant Recipe

In the previous post about the garden I mentioned the eggplant bushes.

I actually read the label on the plants and they're the "Mini Lebanese" variety of eggplants.

So far I have only got one off the bush which was about 15cm long and had a diameter of about 4cm (at the widest part), so not huge but a good size.

Tonight I decided to make a quick Tomato and Eggplant side dish for dinner.

Ingredients
Eggplant
440gm Can of Diced Tomato
Black pepper
Red wine
Basil & parsley (with stock) ice cube (I mince basil & parsley -out of the garden - with a bit of vegetable stock and put into ice block trays).
Olive Oil

Method
Slice eggplant very finely
Poor some olive oil into a griddle pan and place on the heat.
When hot, lay the eggplant in a single layer over the pan.
Turn until both sides are browned.
Remove eggplant and cook more.
While doing this, open the can of tomatoes and place in a small saucepan, along with the black pepper, red wine and the basil & parsley ice cube. Bring to the boil and boil until most of the liquid is reduced. At this point turn down to low.
Once all the eggplant is cooked, mix it into the tomato mixture and keep warm until ready to serve.

I served it with a slice of veal and some mashed potatoes.

Now I just need to wait until another eggplant is ripe (not long away) to do it again! This time I'll try for photos.

3 comments:

Old NFO said...

I ate WAY too many eggplants growing up... but this sounds pretty good :-)

On a Wing and a Whim said...

Yay for a productive garden! I'm down to two eggplant seedlings surviving (out of 6), but in about a week, the lettuce will be big enough to harvest... I think...

DaddyBear said...

Yummy. Don't know how eggplant would do here, but this sounds like something that could be done with zucchini sliced into coins. Thanks!