Friday, August 17, 2012

This does not bode well for the future ...

On Wednesday night at cubs I was doing some "badge work" with various cubs. Our cubs work through three stages of boomerangs - bronze, silver and gold - and each have 14 different sections that the cubs need to complete.

I was reading this section out to the cub, to ask her if she has done anything in this area (this cub, by the way, is 9 years old):

"Demonstrate that you know how to do cleaning around the home, such as vacuuming, sweeping, washing up and cleaning the bathroom."

As I was reading it out - and the girl was shaking her head at each point - her mother came into the room (on some other errand), and said "What?".

I passed the book to the mother to show her what it said and her response was:

"I have a cleaner. Why should my daughter do cleaning if I don't?"

This may have been a rhetorical question by I was so stunned I sort of spluttered:

"Um, because maybe when she moves out of home and can't afford a cleaner she will need to know how to do these things."

Now I have heard of people not getting their kids to do chores before but I have never met anyone who actually lived that. I mean to be 9 years old and never swept?!? or done the dishes?!? To me that is very scary.

2 comments:

Old NFO said...

Yep, THAT is a failure waiting to happen when reality smacks that young lady in the face in the future...

Suldog said...

It's like people not learning to add or subtract because they have calculators. It will definitely come back to bite them in the ass someday.