Today when I went to the supermarket I found some veal steaks at $11.99 a kg (the casserole beef was $15.99). I decided to try the veal steaks in the slow cooker as follows:
- 1/2 cup onions
- 500gms veal steaks (6 in total)
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 cup frozen broad beans
- 2 x 400gm cans chopped tomatoes
- olive oil
- 1 teaspoon mixed herbs
- black pepper
- 1/2 cup red wine
- 400gm can red kidney beans
- 400gm can white beans
- 400gm can chick peas
- 1 teaspoon beef stock powder
1. Turn slow cooker onto high.
2. Heat oil in a frypan, add the Mixed Herbs and Onion, saute for a few minutes.
3. Add the veal, brown on all sides. Remove from heat and set aside.
4. In the slow cooker add the tomatoes, beans, frozen vegetables and black pepper to taste. Mix well.
5. Remove half the ingredients from the slow cooker and set aside.
6. Lay the steaks on the remaining contents in the slow cooker.
7. Pour red wine and add the beef stock powder into the frypan used for the onion and veal. Mix well to remove any remaining onions.
8. Pour the red wine mixture over the veal steaks.
9. Add the other half of the slow cooker mixture (which was set aside at step 5) over the veal steaks.
10. Cook on high for 3 hours.
11. Serve with rice or mashed potato.
The 5y.o. & 7y.o. reckoned it was "very good". Hubby wanted me to remember how I made it so I can make it again and I thought it was really nice. I was worried that the veal would be dry, but it wasn't.